Federal Student Work Experience Program
The 2015-2016 Federal Student Work Experience Program campaign is set to launch on October 28, 2015
How can the Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP) support you?
- The FSWEP inventory will be revitalized with students who are ready to work for you.
- You can recruit quickly and easily to fill your temporary staffing needs.
- You have the opportunity to work with the next generation of talent and potentially find your next indeterminate (or term) employee.
The PSC is working hard to attract students with a wide variety of interests to meet your hiring needs while supporting the Clerk's of the Privy Council's priorities:
“The Public Service needs to recruit individuals with the skills and competencies that we will require in the next era… We must also attract, develop and retain talent to avoid creating a demographic hole that will lead to problems in the years ahead. These new entrants… will bring with them the fresh ideas, diversity, and skills that will allow us to meet our contemporary challenges.”
- The current 2014-2015 FSWEP inventory closed on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 but:
- Requests received up to and including October 20 will be processed by close of business October 27, 2015.
- Requests for re-employment will continue to be processed.
- Students will be able to apply to the new campaign as of October 28, 2015 and can continue to do so throughout the campaign.
- New requests for referrals will be reviewed and will be processed as of November 17, 2015.
- As of Tuesday, November 17, the new inventory will be available to hiring organizations.
Note: Students registered in the current 2014-2015 FSWEP inventory will be invited to re-apply to the new campaign if they continue to meet all the eligibility criteria. If you are planning on re-hiring a former student, please encourage them to re-apply.
The Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP) is the primary vehicle through which federal organizations can recruit secondary school, CEGEP, college, technical institute and university students for temporary jobs.
Whether you're looking for summer or part-time students, you have the following recruiting options:
- Access the FSWEP inventory of student applicants by submitting to the PSC a request for referrals. In general, you will receive five referrals for each job opportunity available. Please follow these steps:
- Complete and submit a FSWEP Request for Referrals form from the PSC Web site;
- Receive a list of approximately five students whom you must contact and assess;
- Verify the student's Canadian citizenship;
- Request proof of full-time student status;
- Make the offer of employment;
- Document your staffing file; and
- Develop a learning plan for the student.
- Create your own FSWEP advertisement, enabling you to post on-line positions that aim to meet particular staffing requirements and recruit students who have applied.
- Contact your Human Resources Advisor to see whether your organization already has an advertisement in place.
- If you do not already have an advertisement in place, submit a request to create one by sending an E-mail to email@example.com.
- Re-employ an FSWEP student by completing a FSWEP Request for Re-employment.
For more information, contact your nearest PSC office.
- Student Eligibility
- Rates of pay
- FSWEP Request for Referrals
- Re-employment Process
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Date modified: