Federal Student Work Experience Program
- The next campaign will launch in January 2017.
- The current inventory is still available for referrals.
- New departmental programs and career stream inventories are now available. See below for more information.
Through the Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP), federal organizations can:
- recruit secondary school, CEGEP, college, technical institute and university students for temporary jobs;
- hire high school and university students from more than 350 disciplines;
- hire students for temporary jobs all year round;
- continue to re-employ students (one academic term at a time) for as long as they remain eligible under the program, by completing and submitting a request for re-employment;
- hire the student into determinate or indeterminate positions when their academic studies have been completed;
- benefit from students' high energy and their knowledge of, and fascination with, new technologies and familiarity with current and innovative ideas; and
- increase the representativeness of your workforce by considering students who belong to one or more of the designated employment equity groups.
Whether you're looking for summer or part-time students, you have the following options:
Hire a new student
- Complete and submit an FSWEP Request for Referrals.
- You will receive a list of approximately five students per position, whom you must contact and assess.
- Request proof of full-time student status and citizenship.
- Assess the referred candidates by phone or in person.
- Determine the student's rate of pay based on the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Students.
- Make the offer(s) of employment.
- Document your staffing file.
- Complete the referral results form and submit it to the Public Service Commission (PSC).
- Inform all referred candidates of the final results of the process.
- Develop a mandatory learning plan (models available in Appendices B and C of the Student Employment Policy).
Re-employ a student
Follow this simple six-step process to re-employ a student.
Hire from your departmental program or one of the career stream inventories.
See what is currently available.
For more information, contact your nearest PSC office.
- Student Eligibility
- Rates of pay
- FSWEP Request for Referrals
- Re-employment Process
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Date modified: