The Public Service Official Languages Exclusion Approval Order
The Public Service Official Languages Exclusion Approval Order (PSOLEAO) intends to provide an appropriate balance between:
- ensuring that persons appointed meet the official language proficiency requirements of bilingual positions; and
- fostering the access of unilingual Canadians to bilingual positions in the federal public service.
The PSOLEAO sets out three situations in which, in the case of a non-imperative appointment, a person who is proficient in only one of the official language is excluded from the application of merit with respect to proficiency in both official languages.
- When the person submits an agreement to become bilingual;
- When the person is excluded for medical reasons; and
- When the person is eligible for an immediate annuity.
The Public Service Official Languages Appointment Regulations (PSOLAR) set out the provisions applying to persons who are excluded from merit with respect to proficiency in both official languages and specify the deputy head's responsibilities and obligations when appointing a person who enters into an agreement to become bilingual.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Service Official Languages Exclusion Approval Order (1981) and Public Service Official Languages Exclusion Approval Order (2005)
- Statement of Agreement to Become Bilingual
- Request for Exclusion on Medical Grounds, PDF Version - 604 Kb (available to Publiservice clients only)
To request an exclusion on medical grounds, organizations must complete the exclusion form above and submit it to the PSC. Only when the request is approved will the PSC ask the organization, as a second step, to fill the following two forms below.
- Health Canada Consent to Undergo a Fitness to Learn a Second Official Language Evaluation (available in PDF Format only - 223 Kb)
- Health Canada Fitness to Work Protocol (available in PDF Format only - 229 Kb)
- Monitoring Report on Official Languages Qualifications in Staffing 2014-2015 (Reporting template)
- Date modified: