Appointment or Deployment of Alternates Exclusion Approval Order and Appointment or Deployment of Alternates Regulations (12-08)
The Public Service Commission (the Commission or PSC) recently made the Appointment or Deployment of Alternates Exclusion Approval Order (the Order) and the Appointment or Deployment of Alternates Regulations (the Regulations). The Order and the Regulations were registered and came into effect on April 10, 2012. A copy of the Order and Regulations is attached hereto.
The Order and the Regulations support the provisions on alternation of the National Joint Council Work Force Adjustment Directive and other work force adjustment agreements.
Alternation allows an affected indeterminate employee who has not received a guarantee of a reasonable job offer (the “opting” employee) to remain in the public service by exchanging positions with another indeterminate employee, who is not affected by work force adjustment but would like to leave the public service (the “alternate”).
To facilitate alternation, the Order excludes alternates from the provisions of the Public Service Employment Act that relate to:
- Merit and Commission policies;
- Statutory and regulatory priorities;
- Qualification standards and Treasury Board directives and regulations for deployments; and
- Informal discussion, notifications and recourse to the Public Service Staffing Tribunal.
The Regulations stipulate that an alternate:
- Must submit an irrevocable resignation that is accepted by the deputy head and that takes effect no later than five days following the date on which they are appointed or deployed to the position of the opting employee;
- Shall not perform the duties of the position of the opting employee; and
- Ceases to be an employee on the date of their resignation.
Alternation usually occurs between employees at the same group and level. For more information, refer to your organization’s work force adjustment agreements.
The Commission monitors and audits the staffing practices of organizations, including the application of this Order and these Regulations.
For more information, please contact the PSC strategic consultant responsible for your organization.
cc Chiefs of Staffing
- Date modified: